Wednesday, January 02, 2008

submarine yacht versus small p-sub

De: Peter Madsen Dinamarca to psubs.org

Hi Brent,

You ask:

"How big of a diesel motor do you suppose Cliff could fit in his R300?? ;)'

But of cause - I just wrote the post in a general sence, and psubs do range in size from
less than 300 kg to more than 60 tonnes.The little Freya at 3.5 ton was diesel powered to
begin with - and what really makes the limit is when the waterline get too short for
surfaced speeds of more than say 3 knots ( that would be 4 -5 meters waterline )

As for size in general - the added cost in time and materials when increasing the size of
a psub seems to me to largely offset by the reduction in troubling miniature work. As a
result construction time of 32 ton UC-3 will like be less than for 6.5 ton Kraka. I don't
spend more time on it pr. week than I did when building Kraka with Claus, but I can walk
inside !

I do understand the need for a trailer submarine if you live in Utah, and that might be
to small for hybrid propulsion. Okay. But if you are lucky to live within driving
distance of the sea - having a sub that is always in water is quite practical and in that
type of operation size - and thus diesel propulsion becomes feasible.

Most psubs that I know of are type K250 or the like...and if their builders make that
size of boat because that is what they want - then its the only right decision. But if it
is because they feel that they cannot find the hours to make a bigger boat...then they
may be misunderstanding that miniaturizing is very expensive.
Min point in short - a bigger psubs is not always a bigger project - it may in fact be
easier done than a miniature. So why worry ? Think BIG !

May I remind you that many of you live in the proud nation that put a man on the moon ? (
now all psubbers will arm their torpedotubes and lock them on me...)

By the way, I have newer really paid a harbor fee - with a little luck your submarine
will be so mystic and fun that the harbor will not charge you.

- This said - what I like about psubs is the enormous span in different ways of solving
the same puzzle,
and that you can be in the game with all sorts of background, size, resources ect.

Shoot me !

Best regards, Peter

2 comments:

wil said...

I agree completly with you peter, i started with a 1ton mini submarine then made a 20 ton submarine yacht, now building a 200 ton ocean going version. For me make it big enough is the key factor to submarine yachting.

Wil
(www.concretesubmarine.com)

Anonymous said...

Peter Peter Peter,

I'd use paint balls to shoot you, but I'm fresh out. ; )' Some how I missed it, or it went right over my head, but I don't see the insult. But yes America still has loads of can do spirit. However we are by no means the only ones. Between you and Carsten, you guys were making Europe more PSUB heavy. But with Ian's new 200 ton boat in the works on this side of the globe, we will have some weight to throw around again. My personal dream live aboard sub is currently laid out to have a 11 foot OD pressure hull and weigh 160 tons. Is that big enough for ya Peter ?? Do you think I can put your Nautilus inside it for safe keeping? I needed more room for the aquarium in the galley to keep my sushi fresh, and room for a decent sized sauna. ; )' But I'm still going to start in miniature and work my way up. RC sub miniature that is.

"What would like be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

~ Vincent van Gogh

Cheers,
Brent